By Ammad Hafeez
3rd March, around 3:00 PM, same news reports were emerging with label of ‘breaking news’ on every single news channels that Karachi’s former mayor, Syed Mustafa Kamal and Anees QaimKhani would hold an emergency press conference and take part in politics. I had figured out that presser wasn’t being conducted with the approval of MQM owing to the fact that media reporters were invited at house in Defence rather than Nine Zero. Lets catch a glimpses of past in the connection of presser, as heretofore, last months, Altaf Hussain had blown the gaff in connection with “new group” in general workers’ meeting. Later on, Mr Hussain instructed to switch off street lights of headquarter – nine zero street, and urged sitting workers to decamp from street in the darkness, so no one could see anyone. A little while back, Mr Hussain had also babbled to workers in coded words, “Hyderabad wala bik gaya hai”. So, MQM must have planned to get to grips with new emerging group.
Embarking upon a journey from ‘Bhai to Sahab’, former Karachi’s mayor aimed at his party chief in same style that Afaq Ahmed and Amir Khan opted in 90’s. I watched more than 2 hrs lengthy press conference till end, beyond any doubt; I was perplexed by the presser of Altaf Hussain’s pampered boy. I’ve come to a decision that I should write a blog over “controversial presser”. I believe, every Karachiiet wants to question Mr. Kamal following his last day’s presscon. Mustafa Kamal with Anees QaimKhani (silent mode) broke presser into three sections. First one, why did they quit party? Second one, why have they come again? and last one, what will they do next?
- Kamal kicked off the presser while boasting that he was enjoying party protocol being member of famed Rabta committee, he had portfolio of senator ship. He added, every senator paid heavy amount to earn the portfolio. – So, Mr Kamal, will you enlighten us that how much amount had you paid for getting this senator ship portfolio to Altaf Hussain?
- “We sacrificed our positions, portfolios” – Who awarded you such positions and portfolio? If Altaf Hussain, then you must have to unveil the conditions on which he gave you. How much money did you pay to him?
- Joining and quitting PPP-led government – Yes, we witnessed that MQM quit Sindh government and joined back lots of times. Did Altaf Hussain quit government and join back without consensus of second-tier leadership (including you)? Were there any personal interests of him behind this back and forth policy shift? Was he pitching on his family members for ministries in Sindh government after rejoining government?
- 8 lac votes for PTI – Mustafa Kamal stated emphatically that Altaf was solely responsible for decline in party’s vote bank in Karachi. Altaf’s controversial statements were forced MQM’s supporters to vote to PTI. Contrasting your statement, in the wake of dissolving long term coordination committee [that decision made you rapacious] and taking front line by Mr Hussain, MQM managed to clean sweep NA-246 polls, cantonment board polls, then local government polls by huge margin. If Altaf Hussain was the reason behind party’s downfall, how could MQM clinch back-to-back winning shots? Conditions were same for voters; MQM couldn’t surprise Karachiiets by development works. Why did MQM supporters still extend their support to MQM by ballot papers? Didn’t Altaf Hussain castigate establishment over forced disappearances, raids and detentions? Had Karachiiets lost their conscience too? Does Altaf Hussain have any magical stick?
- Teen-Talwar speech – I’ve noticed that you highly spotlighted Altaf Hussain’s speech regarding swords of teen-talwar. Yes, Altaf Hussain had boasted that his workers could assemble like swords at teen talwar. I agree with you that there was no need to pass such statement, after the statement firing incident was reported at teen talwar too. Question is, why didn’t you discuss in the presser that PTI workers were arrested in connection with firing incident at teen-talwar?
- With tears in eyes, SMK uttered that thousands of workers had sacrificed their lives just for Altaf Hussain. – Question is, who killed them? Why didn’t you reveal killers’ name? You said, “You are here just for workers”, then how could you miss that point?
- Altaf Hussain as god (Naouzbillah) – Afaq and Amir, both had avowed that they had considered him too. Did Mr Hussain ask you to deem him a god? Why are Karachiiets still voting him notwithstanding allegations? They have also esteemed him as god?
- You claimed that MQM’s chief drank heavily and lost consciousness sometimes. – Didn’t the same drunkard bring you in political canvas? Had he regained his consciousness when he chose you as mayor and senator? Prior to mayor ship and senator ship, you were unknown to public and even Bahria Town’s Malik Riaz.
- “Rabta committee including me lied in media to shield MQM’s supremo” – Question is, what are the chances that you aren’t dissimulating or playing on others’ hands at this time too, when you are denigrating MQM’s chief?
- “Altaf Hussain was taking decision on the basis of channel’s headlines” – You’re making your presser more controversial. You meant, Hussain was heedless of party activities and decisions were mapped out on tickers. Contrary to this, you professed that Altaf Hussain was dealing party activities directly and there was no role of Rabta committee. Does it make sense?
- “No one was criminal by-birth, Altaf Hussain made everyone criminal and RAW agent”. – Why didn’t Altaf Hussain make you criminal or RAW agent? How could you manage to become mayor and senator? Were you mayor or senator by birth? How could you present entire Urdu speaking community as killers, criminals and RAW agents without concrete proofs?
- “Everyone familiarized with socialism and civilization from Mohajir community, now they are being attributed as RAW agents”. – Who are projecting Urdu speaking community as RAW agents? The first Prime Minister, Mr Liaqat Ali Khan was also labeled as anti-state. Ayub Khan dubbed Fatima Jinnah as Indian agent. Is Altaf Hussain declaring them Indian agent?
- “MQM workers faced torture cells for MQM supremo”. – Why are you reluctant to disseminate, who were operating those torture cells? Ok, Altaf Hussain doesn’t care Mohajir community, but why didn’t you unveil, who were torturing innocent Urdu speaking people in torture cells?
- MQM’s agenda, fitra and hide collection: How much fitra/hide collection shares had you transferred to London being caretaker of KKF? Being mayor, how much amount from 300 billion had you transferred to London?
- “I knew myself and my family had life threats, we would be killed if we opposed Altaf Hussain”. – Why are you opposing Altaf Hussain now? Life and death are with Allah and you knew at that time too when you were apple of Altaf’s eye. Now, who is sewing you up the security protection?
- “Our conscience had awakened and we distanced ourselves from party’s wrongdoings”. – Ok, your conscience had awakened in 2013 then why are you coming back in 2016? Were you guys waiting for MQM’s failure in LB polls and Altaf Hussain’s conviction in money laundering?
- “Blindfolded and handcuffed Urdu speaking youths are being made public in front of world”. – Same question to you, who are maltreating Mohajir community?
- “Everyone from ISI and establishment to governments knew very well that Altaf Hussain had links with Indian spy, RAW”. – This is the highly sensitive statement. ISI, establishment and previous governments, all were indirectly supporting Altaf Hussain for working RAW. Are you trying to implicate this? Your statement has made everyone dubious not only Altaf Hussain. Were COAS, ISI chief, agencies head supporting a RAW-funded political party and its mayor in the development of mega metropolitan? Is RAW such powerful that ISI and agencies were supporting MQM regardless of its connections with Indian spy?
- “Altaf Hussain was interrogated by Scotland Yard for three consecutive days, and he revealed all related money laundering and RAW connections”. – Question is, if Altaf Hussain had revealed all before Scotland Yard then why would they cancel his bail and exempt him from appearing before Scotland Yard? Why would Scotland Yard return the seized money and documents to Altaf Hussain and MQM? Had Scotland Yard lost his conscience too? Had Altaf Hussain bought Scotland Yard?
- Slip of tongue or what? Mr Kamal urged establishment publicly to help out and bring misguided workers in national spectrum through his political group. He added more that they are starting this journey. “Don’t hate criminals, don’t isolate criminals”, Mustafa Kamal added – Questions is, can you please elaborate “misguided” term? Are you referring workers who are under custody of law enforcement agencies as misguided? Are you referring state’s mercy for them and condition is to join your group?
- One side, you blew own trumpet that Anees QaimKhani and you were like kings of Karachi. But still, you are blaming only Altaf Hussain for all. Isn’t surprising?
- You made a plea to establishment and agencies not to conjecture that Mohajir are traitors; they are patriots like Punjabis, Pathans and others. You added that 2 million Mohajirs sacrificed lives for the newly state. – Aren’t you ratifying Altaf Hussain that establishment don’t accept Mohajirs as Pakistani nation?
- Mustafa Kamal and Anees QaimKhani took three years to come back, but they couldn’t formulate party’s name and flag in three years. It seems like, someone asked you few hours ago to announce new political party, since you couldn’t work on name and flag. You were minister, mayor and senator; and definitely you would know that Pakistan’s flag couldn’t be a flag of any political group. You’re politician, even a group of citizens was going to announce political organization, and they would come with name and flag. I see few reasons behind this that why couldn’t you name your patriotic group.
- You are working on some script, and you conducted presser in emergency basis. That’s why; you or [someone else] couldn’t work on your party’s name and flag.
- You aren’t interested to run any political organization, your motive was just to decimate Altaf Hussain’s political image.
- The last reason could be that you came back to replace Altaf Hussain. Same party, same worker, same name but new leadership.
- Mustafa Kamal landed along with Anees QaimKhani in Karachi, but surprisingly, none of any agencies could arrest the wanted absconder. Why? Instead of arresting him, SSU commandos were deployed at house to safeguard JIT nominated criminal.
- Mr Kamal repudiated Baldia fire incident, Dr Asim and Umair Siddiqui joint-investigation team reports, next day within 12 hours; Anees QaimKhan name was pulled out from new Baldia JIT report. How? Mustafa Kamal refuted all JIT reports but believing on other JITs in which MQM was being labeled as RAW sponsored party. Why?
On the question of establishment’s back, Mustafa Kamal replied media reporter that they didn’t have armed guards and no one was raiding workers’ houses. But I do not see it as simple as you said Mr. Kamal, in MQM’s fold no one tried to create new faction without establishment’s support. Afaq Ahmed and Amir Khan were overseeing ground activities of Mohajir Qaumi Movement (later Muttahida-QM), and party workers were reporting directly to them. Azeem Tariq and Imran Farooq were political faces of MQM, they were policy makers of MQM. The point is, Afaq-Amir were closed to party workers despite of that establishment had fully supported them. While, you two guys aren’t dealing party activities right now, you guys had quit party three years ago. It is obvious that no one can come back to challenge one of most disciplined political parties without assurance of ‘powerful hands’. In past, same Amir Khan stated in 90’s termed that 19 June was the day of freedom from Altaf Hussain’s fear. Amir Khan had stated that he and Afaq freed innocent MQM workers who were being exploited by party chief. Amir added more that he and Afaq led the way of peace in city of light. Amir pronounced Altaf Hussain “Iblees”. Later-on, Amir Khan came back and exposed establishment and agencies game against Altaf Hussain. So, Mustafa Kamal and Anees QaimKhani must have to answer these questions and they have to clear themselves that they aren’t playing on someone’s signals. Otherwise, they will be faded out from political spectrum like Javed Hashmi, Afaq Ahmed, Zulfiqar Mirza, Nabil Gabol, Chaudhry brothers and Sheikh Rasheed.